A blog of my tube amp design and modification work. Primarily my own builds, but occasionally I feature work I've done on others' amps (with their permission.)

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ultralinear Twin - Triode Mode Update

Just one quick update - there's one more recommended mod going around for these ultralinear Twins: wire two of the 6L6GCs in triode mode and leave the other two screens hooked up to the ultralinear taps. I just tried it and my goodness, what an improvement. Certainly warms the amp up nicely, and the amp breaks up even a little earlier, which makes sense as the output power has been reduced.

The bright switch is useable now though; even with a Strat it's no longer a death sentence via icepick.

If the rumors are correct, I have Kevin O'Connor to thank for this trick. Brilliant stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment